Homemade cures for skin infections usually involve the use of spices, herbs, vegetables, and other commonly used substances. Likewise, cures for impetigo can be prepared by oneself with the use of common and natural household ingredients.
Impetigo is an infectious skin condition, a very contagious condition actually, caused by streptococcus or staphylococcus bacteria. On the human skin are found living various types of bacterial strains, including staph and streptococcus. Once the skin becomes damaged, causing a break in its protective barrier, then it becomes possible for these harmful bacteria to enter and trigger an infectious process, like in the case of impetigo.
Impetigo will cause thick, honey-colored crust formation after the infected blisters burst open to let the pus material out. The area affected may be small or large, but it is usually the large blisters that cause pain symptoms. Once treatment commences, it can be completely cured without any resulting scars from it.
This contagious skin condition is of two types – bullous and non-bullous; with the non-bullous type being frequently diagnosed by medical professionals.
In order the support the body in its healing process during the normal course of treatment, there are certain home remedies that could be followed.
Impetigo Homemade Cures
– To two cups of water, add one-fourth cup of apple cider vinegar to wash the skin, and gently try to remove the scabs off. Apple cider vinegar has natural properties that can effectively kill harmful bacteria, as well as promote healing of damaged skin layers.
– The open sores and infected skin needs to be washed repeatedly until it heals. For this repeated cleansing, a solution can be prepared from taking one-fourth cup each of rosemary and thyme leaves and adding them to two cups of boiling water. Lower flame and allow it to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Cool, strain and use it for cleansing the damaged skin. Rosemary and thyme both have strong antiseptic properties.
– Crush a pod of garlic and apply its juices on the affected skin areas. Crushed garlic releases a substance known as allicin that acts as a powerful antibiotic agent. Along with this, consuming garlic daily too will help in hastening the recovery time.
– Another wonderful ingredient that can be used to apply over the impetigo affected skin areas is a paste made from turmeric powder and milk cream. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, and can be taken internally as well to encourage the body in starting a quick healing process. Cream of milk will encourage the skin to regenerate.
– The plant gel obtained from aloe vera helps in soothing damaged skin and also plays a crucial role in reducing the time required for healing. Take the gel from a freshly cut aloe leaf and apply it directly over the impetigo affected skin. Wash it off with plain water once it dries. Repeat this several times in a day to enjoy the results.
Petroleum jelly is another product that is normally recommended for skin healing, but this tends to clog the skin pores without penetrating into the skin properly. However, applying a thin layer of petroleum jelly may help in minimizing impetigo symptoms.
Home remedies for contagious skin infections should only be followed in conjunction with the conservative treatment methods available. This method of treatment should be done only after obtaining permission from one’s family physician. Home remedies alone will not work towards curing contagious skin problems like impetigo fully.